Here is an early storyboard concept that I did for the factual animation, there are several reason why I dropped this from the project which I will reveal later on:
The aims for this project are:
The aim of this animation is to produce a Animated Biopic based on the Ancient Greek Conqueror and King, Alexander the Great. The Animation will be 30 to 45 seconds long and not a second over. The animation will tell a part of Alexander’s life effectively and utilize sound effects that are suitable for the chosen content, this will help tell his story and make sure that the target audience is not offended. The Animation will aim for a target audience of school children since Alexander is a Historical figure and is consider an important part of our history.
The reason why this storyboard was dropped from this factual animation project was that it didn’t seem to properly convey the life story of Alexander that well when read through, especially at the beginning. This might be because of the way I introduced this storyboard. There is no indication that this animation is about Alexander, the only thing that you do see is a lightning bolt strike a barley noticeable female figure (Something that I need to work on, afterwards). The narrative within this is absolutely awful and therefore makes no sense to the audience who are either reading it or are watching it when it is animated. So straight away I knew that I could either tweak this storyboard or do a completely different one. I think the only good thing with this sequence of the storyboard is actually that the female figure was fairly decent, except once the frames were put together it looked like her breast where jumping from her chest to her stomach when she breathed unfortunately (I will need to work on my female anatomy).
The next problem that came up was the actual flames that showed Alexander would be a conqueror in his father’s vision. The way I drew them was absolutely awful in appearance, to me personally they looked more the ocean/sea than fires raging across the land, so next time I draw fires they need to be more like this:
Another problem that popped up with this storyboard was the actual baby form of Alexander, while it did represent some form of baby it looked more like a mutant or gremlin than an actual human baby that it was supposed to represent. So personally I felt a bit of confliction with this, I felt pleased that I had developed a character that had some form of close representation to a baby, but at the same time I felt concerned that the baby came out looking more like a monster than a human, so I will need to work on this in the near future.
The last concern that popped up was that the actual animation would come out shorter than 30 seconds, so I couldn’t use this for the project unless I expanded this story. At the current moment the tale of Alexander wan’t enough so I would need to expanded on this with the narrative to at least reach the minimum time limit. The only positive of this was that I got a working horse within the storyboard that looked fairly decent, so the target audience would at least understand Alexander had experience with a horse.